Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 hrs
In Canada, it is a traditional Quebec dish, made with split yellow peas and flavoured with salt pork. Citizens of the Middle East are likely to enjoy a vegetarian version, seasoned with cumin and lemon. This recipe borrows a bit from each of these cuisines. I like to serve this soup steaming hot with plenty of fresh, dark bread, coleslaw and sliced Cheddar cheese. It makes a great winter meal.
- 2 cups yellow split peas, soaked, drained and rinsed (See TIPS, below)
- 2 onions, diced
- 4 stalks celery, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped parsley
- In slow cooker stoneware, combine all ingredients except lemon juice and parsley.
- Cover and cook on Low for 12 hours or on High for 6 hours, until vegetables are tender and broth is well flavoured.
- Remove ham hock and stir in lemon juice.
- Ladle into bowls an garnish with parsley.
- TIPS: Traditionally, yellow split peas are not soaked before cooking, but I have found that they can be tough unless they are pre-soaked.
- To be safe, I suggest the following: Bring the peas and 6 cups water to boil.
- Boil rapidly for 1 minute, then let sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Drain and rinse before adding to the recipe.
- Smoked ham hocks are available from butchers and can often be found in the meat section of well-stocked supermarkets.
- They are wonderful flavour enhancers, particularly for legumes.
- VARIATION: South-western-Style Split Pea Soup: In a heatproof bowl, soak 2 New Mexico chillies in 2 cups boiling water for 30 minutes.
- Drain and discard liquid and stems.
- Chop finely.
- Add to soup along with onions and other ingredients.
- For a spicier version, add 1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper along with the reconstituted chillies.
- To serve, top with sour cream and garnish with finely chopped cilantro instead of parsley.
- MAKE AHEAD: This soup can be cooked overnight, then refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Delicious& Dependable Slow Cooker Recipes.