Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Created for my crock pot and very easy to make! Indonesian food is very much part of the Dutch cuisine and food culture and goes back to colonial days, it is very popular in The Netherlands. This is good when just made but even better the day after or after freezing. Add as many chilies or sambal to bring it up to your own desired spiciness. If you cannot get lime leaves sub with some lime zest, it's not the same but it's the best substitute.
- 2 lbs stewing beef or 2 lbs pork, 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 piece peeled gingerroot, approx 2 inches
- 1⁄2 cup ketjap manis (sweet soy)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock or 1⁄2 cup chicken stock or 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 2 green chilies, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (fresh or dried)
- Put all ingredients in your food-processor except the meat, oil and the lime leaves.
- Process until almost like a paste.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion mixture on medium heat for approx 5 minutes.
- Turn up the heat and add the meat, stir and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Transfer to the crock pot, add the lime leaves and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, depending on your crock pot.
- When done taste and add more sambal if desired.
Wow! This is fantastic. I used my own sweet soy sauce substitute to have it gluten and soy free, and it was incredibly tasty. Made it with beef and will soon make it again!
Made for Cook-A-Thon in Memory of Pets'R'us.
Making this tonight, TRUE! The sauce is absolute DIVINE too! Used pork, is currently cimmering away, Like one of the reviewers used an extra lime leaf, okay! Had initial concerns was not enough sauce, But am sure it will be ok....
We liked this so much that we made it twice in three days! We used beef both times and yum, this is not only easy but wonderfully tasty. Needless to say we will be making it again SOON! Thanks!!!