Recipe by deshawnascott_062563
Huli Huli Chicken is a traditional Hawaiian dish that is grilled. I'm not Hawaiian but I love the food. Since I really can't grill chicken (I burn it every time) I have developed a similar recipe that would give me the flavors.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar barbecue sauce (my favorite Guy Fieri)
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
- 1⁄2 medium onion, cut in lg chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 hot pepper, seeded, left in 2 lg pieces
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
Directions See How It's Made
- I mix everything except the chicken and onions in the crock pot first. We like spicy foods but not really hot so I cut the pepper in just two halves so I can pull it out before serving. Then add the chicken breasts, pushing them under the sauce. I usually don't plan ahead enough to thaw the chicken so I put them in frozen. Put the onion chunks on top to keep them from turning to mush.
- Start with the cooker on high then once it all starts to bubble turn it down on low. It took my cooker about 3 1/2 hours. If you're leaving the house I would just start it on low and would be fine for a lot longer.
- I served mine with wild rice.