Recipe by Olha
One of my favorite ways to begin the day, and you can use your slow cooker to ensure that all family members get off to a nutritious start. Cook the cereal overnight and leave the slow cooker on Warm in the morning. Everyone can help themselves according to their schedules. Try using Irish oatmeal or steel cut oats, instead of traditional rolled oats for a crunchier version. Multigrain cereals are one way of ensuring that you maximize the nutritional benefits of cereal grains. You can buy them pre packaged, usually in 3, 5 or 7 grain combinations or under a brand name, or you can make your own by combining your favorite grains. Store multigrain cereal in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
- 1 cup multigrain cereal (or 1/2 cup multigrain cereal and 1/2 cup rolled oats)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 2 apples, all purpose, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In prepared slow cooker stoneware, combine multigrain cereal, salt, water and apples.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, place raisins, if using, in a microwave safe bowl and cover with water. Microwave for 20 seconds to soften. Add to hot cereal. Stir well and serve.
- 175 Essential Slow Cooker Classics. J. Finlayson.