Recipe by Olha
I love this recipe—it is so delicious and easy to make. The secret ingredient is a flavorful steak sauce. I prefer HP Sauce, a British brand, but any well loved variety will do. Be sure to include mounds of steamy mashed potatoes to soak up the mouth watering sauce.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (3 -4 lb) beef roast
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 stalks celery, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 -2 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons steak sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Pat roast dry with paper towel and brown in skillet on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onions and celery and cook, stirring, until softened. Add garlic, thyme, salt and peppercorns and cook, stirring, for 1 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add beef broth and bay leaf and cook, stirring, until mixture thickens.
- Pour mixture over roast. Cover and cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours or on High for 5 to 6 hours, until meat is tender.
- Stir green peppers and steak sauce into gravy. Cover and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes, until peppers are soft.
- To serve, discard bay leaf, place roast on a deep platter and spoon sauce over top.
- TIP: If you feel the gravy is not thick enough after the roast has finished cooking, add a flour thickener. Transfer the meat to a deep platter and keep warm. Pour the sauce into a saucepan and heat slowly. Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, place 2 Tbs. all purpose flour. Add the sauce, a tablespoonful at a time, stirring after each addition, until mixture is smooth. When you have about 1/2 cup, add the mixture to the saucepan and bring to a boil over medium low heat. Stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Pour over roast and serve.
- Delicious & Dependable Slow Cooker Recipes.