Recipe by Pierre Dance
I can't really take much of the credit for this recipe. It's just the result of ideas I've purloined over the years. When I take it to a potluck I've learned to have a half dozen copies of the recipe with me. I freeze it one cup at a time in sandwich size zip lock bags. It reheats quite well.
- 3⁄4 cup pinto beans, sorted and washed
- 3⁄4 cup baby lima beans, sorted and washed
- 3⁄4 cup navy beans, sorted and washed
- 3⁄4 cup kidney bean, sorted and washed
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, drained
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (KC Masterpiece, original)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Coleman's dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups green beans, fresh, cut bite size
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, cut bite size
- 3 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 3 pasilla chilies, roasted, skins scrapped clean, seeded, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 lbs ground chuck
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the dry beans and soak over night.
- Next day drain and rinse the beans.
- Place first 10 ingredients in crock pot set on low.
- Fry bacon 'til well done but not crisp. Remove and drain.
- Pour off all but 2 TBS of the grease.
- Saute (stir Fry) onions, chilies, and celery 'til onions are translucent.
- Remove and drain.
- Brown and crumble the ground chuck.
- Add bacon, onions, chilies, and chuck to crock pot.
- (If they need more liquid use chicken stock.).
- Cook on low for 8 - 10 hours. remove from heat, cool overnight.
- The next day return to heat for 3-4 hours, serve.
- Goes great with corn tortillas, corn bread. or corn sticks. (corn bread cooked in a bread stick pan.).