Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
I found this recipe in www.justslowcooking.com. After hearing about the problems the first reviewer had I decided to prepare and remake the recipe based on my findings. This is what I've come up with. You may find the timing is off as different slow cookers seem to cook at different temperatures. My slow cooker is an old model from the '70's and took considerably longer. An instant read thermometer is very helpful in determining doneness. The bread should be at least 190F when fully baked. Crock pot breads don't usually have the nice top crust of breads baked in the oven. Their charm is in the ability to have freshly baked bread without heating up your kitchen.
Top Review by Debbwl
This bread was delicious with a wonderful texture, but I am leaving comments without stars because it did have some issues. The cook time was a little unclear as to whether it was 2 or 2 1/2 hours as the crock pot started out cold I opted for the 2 1/2 hours. I made using 2 cups of all-purpose flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour as I ran out of all-purpose flour. The next issue came when I removed the paper towels as they pulled the top crust off the bread, then I turned the bread out to find the bottom edges burnt beyond being edible. The middle and sides had great flavor and texture and we did enjoy nibbling on those parts. Thanks for the post.
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups warm water
- 1 (8 g) envelope active dry yeast (1 Tbsp. )
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir first amount of sugar into warm water in large warmed bowl and sprinkle with yeast.
- Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Stir to dissolve yeast, add next 8 ingredients and beat on low to moisten. Beat on medium for 2 minutes, work in second amount of flour.
- Grease 3-1/2 quart slow cooker and sprinkle with cornmeal
- Turn dough into prepared slow cooker.
- Smooth top with wet spoon or hand.
- Put wooden match or an object 1/8-inch thick between lid and edge of slow cooker to allow a bit of steam to escape.
- Cook on High for about 2-1/2 hours. (At this point check temperature with an instant read thermometer. If the temperature is at least 190F the bread is done.
- If it's done you should loosen sides with knife and turn out onto a clean surface and enjoy.
- If it's not done yet you can either leave it in the crock pot for an additional 30 to 60 minutes or turn if out onto a clean surface, flip it over and return to the crock to allow the other side to brown.
- Cook on High for an additional 30-60 minutes to brown other side of bread.
- Cut into 14 slices.