1/3 Photos of Crock Pot Herb Bread
2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
I found this recipe in www.justslowcooking.com. After hearing about the problems the first reviewer had I decided to prepare and remake the recipe based on my findings. This is what I've come up with. You may find the timing is off as different slow cookers seem to cook at different temperatures. My slow cooker is an old model from the '70's and took considerably longer. An instant read thermometer is very helpful in determining doneness. The bread should be at least 190F when fully baked. Crock pot breads don't usually have the nice top crust of breads baked in the oven. Their charm is in the ability to have freshly baked bread without heating up your kitchen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/3 cups warm water
- 1 (8 g) envelope active dry yeast (1 Tbsp. )
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1Stir first amount of sugar into warm water in large warmed bowl and sprinkle with yeast.
- 2Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 3Stir to dissolve yeast, add next 8 ingredients and beat on low to moisten. Beat on medium for 2 minutes, work in second amount of flour.
- 4Grease 3-1/2 quart slow cooker and sprinkle with cornmeal
- 5Turn dough into prepared slow cooker.
- 6Smooth top with wet spoon or hand.
- 7Put wooden match or an object 1/8-inch thick between lid and edge of slow cooker to allow a bit of steam to escape.
- 8Cook on High for about 2-1/2 hours. (At this point check temperature with an instant read thermometer. If the temperature is at least 190F the bread is done.
- 9If it's done you should loosen sides with knife and turn out onto a clean surface and enjoy.
- 10If it's not done yet you can either leave it in the crock pot for an additional 30 to 60 minutes or turn if out onto a clean surface, flip it over and return to the crock to allow the other side to brown.
- 11Cook on High for an additional 30-60 minutes to brown other side of bread.
- 12Cut into 14 slices.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Herb Bread
Serving Size: 1 (54 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 123.1
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 167.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 3.0 g