Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
- 1 lb assorted dried beans
- 2 cups vegetable juice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup apple juice or 1⁄3 cup pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup parsnip, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon parsley, dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 cup rice or 1 cup pasta, cooked
- vegetable stock or water
- Rinse beans and then soak overnight in water.
- Drain beans and place in crock pot.
- Add vegetable juice, wine, soy sauce, and apple or pineapple juice.
- Cover with vegetable stock or water; the amount added depends on whether you prefer a soup (more liquid) or a stew (less).
- The juice adds just a tad of sweetness and the soy sauce adds depth and the tang of salt.
- Cook on high for 2 hours.
- Add vegetables, herbs, and spices, and cook for 5 to 6 hours on low until carrots and parsnips are tender.
- When tender, add rice or pasta and cook for one additional hour on low.
- For beans use 3 or 4 kinds, such as black, red kidney, pinto, baby lima, lentil, and green and/or yellow split peas.