Recipe by barefootmommawv
This is really good. My family raved about it for days. You may want to thicken up the broth to suit you but it was just fine for us. The way it comes out is like a stoup. Like Rachael Ray says," Its not a Stew or a Soup it's a Stoup!!" Hope you enjoy!!
Top Review by ellie_
Delicious and wonderful on a cold night! The changes I made was using ground veal and also using 2 baking potatoes (instead of the turkey and red potatoes) -- I don't believe these minor changes made any difference at all in this delicious soup/stew which we enjoyed. Made for Zaar Tag -- and will be making again very soon!
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or 1 lb chicken, browned
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 3 red potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 acorn squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies (rotel)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and chop all of the vegetables, and add it to the crockpot. Break up the ground meat with your fingers and add it inches Dump in the kidney beans and the can of tomatoes and chilies. Add the broth and the seasonings. Stir well. It will look like there isn't enough liquid, but more will be made from the vegetables and meat. I promise.
- Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours. Mine took about 9 hours because I have an older crockpot. Yours may take less time.