Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Something I needed to come up with fast for a night that I was going to be out late and my husband wouldn't have time to prepare something decent. His quick fix is take out. :D So I just started grabbing things from the cupboard & fridge and this was the result. It has good flavor and everyone likes it. Even my picky kidlets.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 8 ounces pasta (I used small shells)
- 1 ounce French onion soup mix
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups mixed vegetables
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese or 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Caramelize the onion and garlic.
- Add the meat and brown it, drain the grease if needed, and stir in the soup mix.
- Cook for another minute to incorporate the flavor into the meat. Place the meat in your crock pot.
- Place the broth in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Cook your pasta, but not completely or you'll have a mushy mess by the time you get around to eating this. Cook until it's still chewy but not hard.
- Don't drain the broth. Just place it straight into the crock pot along with your pasta.
- Add enough water (or broth) to bring the liquid level just under the lid. This was only two cups for me. That was to ensure that the liquid didn't completely boil away and there would be enough extra for the pasta.
- Add the Worcestershire and any other goodies that you may like.
- Cook on high for five hours or low for 8. Keep an eye on it. If your liquid is getting to low, add a little more. Keep in mind that the pasta will suck up quite a bit.
- Add your veggies about 40 minutes before you plan on serving it, if they're frozen. If they're canned, 20 minutes should be sufficient to heat them through. If they're fresh, depending on how done you want them, you'll probably need at least an hour.
- Serve with the cheese sprinkled on it, a crusty loaf of fresh bread and perhaps a salad.