Recipe by GREG IN SAN DIEGO
This dish is a great way to use up that leftover ham. Use Texas style bbq beans for the "pork and beans."
Top Review by Ginny Sue
This was good and filling; I used some leftover Easter ham to make this recipe. The directions did not say whether to drain the pineapple or not. So I did drain and save the juice, figuring I could add it back in later if needed. The result was rather thick, so I would say if you want thick beans, then drain the pineapple juice, If you want Juicy beans, then leave the juice (or some portion of it) in. Also, I probably would have preferred to use crushed pineapple or pineapple tidbits instead of chunks.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pork and beans, with their liquid
- 1 (20 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1⁄3 cup hickory flavored barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 lb cooked smoked ham, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- fresh ground pepper