Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs 30 mins
Crock pot E-Z; creamy, chunky fully-bodied chowder using cubed leftover ham and Half and Half(substitute, if you choose) to tempt your taste buds. Even better next day or can be frozen in muffins cups zipped tightly into large plastic bag for individual use later. Base recipe from internet with my upgrades. I'm trying it over rice as an encore; whaddya think?
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 6 medium fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 -3 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
- Steam trimmed whole head of cauliflower with stalk down for about 6 minutes.
- Remove and cool to handle.
- Break off florets and finely dice stalk.
- In cast iron skillet, sauté onion and celery in butter or oil over Medium-High heat until softened.
- Add diced ham and saute 1 minutes.
- Place all ingredients EXCEPT Half and Half and cheddar cheese in crock pot.
- Stir to blend.
- Cook on LOW for 6 hours; extract 2 cups of chowder and add 3 tablespoons potato flakes and puree in blender until smooth; return to crock pot.
- Add Half and Half; and cook 30 mins.to 1 hour.
- Sprinkle individual servings with cheddar cheese, if desired.
I haven't tried this so can't rate it.. Sure it's great! It made me remember decades ago- a cream of cauliflower soup served in an upscale local establishment.. I could never put my finger on what made it different . Finally found someone to tell me it had a bit of blue cheese in it...I think I will use this recipe and give the combination a try- Nora
Awesome recipe! The only thing I did differently was I added a tsp of liquid smoke for some extra flavor. I didn't have any leftover ham so used a ham steak, I think thats where I might have lost some of the flavor. Great fall/winter recipe!