Recipe by Papa D 1946-2012
Many variations to Ham Bone (or Hocks) and beans but this is pretty much how I remember it from my childhood. I find by not soaking the beans they have better texture and flavor.I use Great Northern Beans as my favorite choice of bean for this recipe. I have used 15 bean mix with good results just omit the ham flavor packet.
- 1 meaty ham bone or 4 -6 ham hocks
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 1 carrot, shredded (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 lb great northern bean, rinsed and picked over
- 6 -8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add onion and celery to crock pot.
- Place ham bone or hocks on top of onion and celery.
- Pour rinsed beans around ham and sprinkle with pepper.
- Add bay leaves and garlic.
- Add chicken stock and stir to combine all ingredients cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- When ham is tender (6-7 hours) Remove meat from bones (discarding fat and bones) and return meat to the pot. Stir to combine and break up ham pieces.
- To thicken smash some of the beans on the side of crock pot.
- When done skim any fat off and discard bay leaves.