This is cheap eating at it's best. Really good for scraping by at the end of the month if your cash gets low. Goes best with freshly baked corn muffins drizzled with honey.
- 1 lb dried great northern beans (mixed if desired) or 1 lb other dried beans (mixed if desired)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped coarsely
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 lb smoked ham or 1 lb ham hock
- 6 cups water or 6 cups broth
- Sort beans and soak in enough water to cover overnight.
- Or you may sort them and place in a saucepan with 2-inches of water to cover.
- Bring them to a boil, boil for 3 minutes, then cover and remove from heat.
- Allow to sit for one hour after boiling (don't lift the lid).
- Whichever method you use, rinse and drain the beans before placing them in the crock pot.
- Put the rinsed beans, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, parsley, cloves, ham (chopped into large chunks) or ham hocks into the crock pot along with 6 cups water or broth.
- Cover crock, and cook on low for about 8 hours, or until beans are tender and creamy.
- Skim any excess fat, if necessary, before serving.