Recipe by Mrs.Habu
Another easy and delicious slow cooker recipe. This came from the Feb 2005 Women's Day magazine.
Top Review by threeovens
This was very good. The gravy was rich and thick. I followed the lead of the previous reviewer and sauteed the onions and browned the meat. I did not cut up the meat but used lamb shoulder chops. The lamb was very tender. I mistakenly used ground cinnamon since I could not find my cinnamon sticks. It would be better with the cinnamon sticks. I doubled the amount on all the seasonings.
- 2 lbs lean lamb shoulder, cut in 1-inch chucks
- 6 large yellow onions, halved lengthwise
- 2 cups canned tomato puree
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained & quartered
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup feta cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- mix all ingredients (except the last 4 listed) in a large slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or until lamb and onions are tender.
- Stir in artichoke hearts. Cover and let stand 5 minutes (or until hearts are hot).
- Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Serve sprinkled with walnuts and feta.