Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 mins
Another easy and delicious slow cooker recipe. This came from the Feb 2005 Women's Day magazine.
- 2 lbs lean lamb shoulder, cut in 1-inch chucks
- 6 large yellow onions, halved lengthwise
- 2 cups canned tomato puree
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained & quartered
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup feta cheese
- mix all ingredients (except the last 4 listed) in a large slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or until lamb and onions are tender.
- Stir in artichoke hearts. Cover and let stand 5 minutes (or until hearts are hot).
- Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Serve sprinkled with walnuts and feta.
This was very good. The gravy was rich and thick. I followed the lead of the previous reviewer and sauteed the onions and browned the meat. I did not cut up the meat but used lamb shoulder chops. The lamb was very tender. I mistakenly used ground cinnamon since I could not find my cinnamon sticks. It would be better with the cinnamon sticks. I doubled the amount on all the seasonings.
I really liked the diverse textures of the fininshed product with the crunchy walnuts, melting slow cooked meat and tender crisp veggies. However, the flavor was missing a richness which I expected from this dish. The next time, and there will be one, I plan to sweat the onions, brown the meat, and deglaze the pan with the wine. I can't wait to try again. Thanks for posting.