Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
8 as a side dish and 4 to 6 as a filling main course.
- 1⁄4 cup millet
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1⁄3 cup brown rice
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely diced
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 8 ounces tomato sauce, salt free
- 1 lb canned tomato, chopped, drained, reserve liquid
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned corn or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a crock pot.
- Add water to reserved tomato liquid to equal 2 1/2 cups.
- Stir into grain mixture.
- Cover and cook on low setting 8 hours.
- Stir before serving.
I am not a vegetarian but do eat a lot of non meat meals. I really like barley so I tried this. It was terrific. Great taste and texture. I served them up in a tortilla with a chile sauce. The frozen leftovers will be great as a pasta sauce or added to a stew. Thanks again Dancer^.
I like this. I wasn't super great, but it was good. I tweaked the recipe slightly, using quinoa instead of millet and I skipped the corn. I would have to agree with some of the other reviews that it was a bit mushy. Maybe cutting down the liquids a bit would help. I made this with the chickpea cutlets from the Veganomicon cookbook and they went really well together. I'll definitely make this again, but I'm going to have to play around with the liquids and grains a bit.
I so wanted to like this recipe because I like how healthy it is. It was too bland for me though. It sort of tasted like tomato rice. I used exactly the spices called for but I think it needs more of something. Just not sure what.