Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Seems like everyone in the Midwest has a recipe for goulash that has nothing to do with the Hungarian kind. This was my mom's recipe, which I adapted for the crock pot after living in a apartment with an unruly oven that would set off the smoke alarm no matter how often I cleaned it. This is a very simple recipe, but it's my brother's favorite meal in the world (thus I make it for him every Christmas Eve). Good with garlic-cheese bread.
- 1 (7 ounce) box pasta shells or 1 (7 ounce) box elbow macaroni
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 (28 ounce) jartraditional spaghetti sauce (I use Ragu)
- 1 (4 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained (optional)
- parmesan cheese (for serving)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Brown meat. Drain.
- Combine meat, pasta, spaghetti sauce, onion powder and mushrooms(if using) in crock pot. Mix well.
- Cover. Cook on High for 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to Low for 30 minutes.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.
This was a good basic dish. I made this exactly as written and we all enjoyed it.
I made this today for lunch. I did on thing different and that was to season the ground beef with garlic. About 1 Tbsp. We liked it and the kids ate it up. "We like this kind of biscetti" is what I kept hearing!! Served with cheesy garlic bread. Although this is not the type of goulash I am used to it is def. a keeper!
Hello there, Lisa! I made this for our Sunday dinner. There are two things I did different: substituting chopped onion for the onion powder ( didn't have any) and putting in a Tbsp of garlic powder. Other than that, it was the same. Thank you so much for the great dinner. I'll be making this again, because it was so easy!