Recipe by IOjaw
My version of an island favorite.
Top Review by 5 Mule Team
This is the curry taste that I have been searching for. I doubled the recipe for the spices/flour/stock and went crazy with just vegetables, no meat. The hardest part was making the sort of roux (spice/onion/garlic mix with flour) then adding the stock slowly to thin out with no lumps. Turned out awesome and well worth the time. When I was done pouring the sauce over the vegetables in the crock pot, I took some sliced bread and CLEANED out the pot. This curry gravy was so good I ate about a half loaf of bread with the drippings. So Good! Will make this again and live off it! I am hoping my 12-16 servings lasts me the week. ;)
- 2 medium potatoes (quartered and sliced)
- 1 large carrot (quartered and sliced)
- 2 skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite size chunks)
- 1 large bell pepper (julienned, or 150 grams frozen julienned bell peppers for added color)
- 1 medium onion (coarsely diced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic paste
- 3 tablespoons spicy curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups bouillon
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes, carrot, chicken, and bell pepper in bottom of crock pot.
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, sauté onion in olive oil and margarine until translucent.
- Then stir in garlic paste, curry powder, turmeric, white pepper, ginger, cinnamon, and salt.
- Next, gradually add flour mixing thoroughly into a pasty consistency.
- Finally, slowly pour in chicken broth, thoroughly diluting the flour mixture. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Last, pour broth mixture over the ingredients in the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 – 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over hot rice accompanied by sour and/or sweet pickled condiments.