Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
My version of an island favorite.
- 2 medium potatoes (quartered and sliced)
- 1 large carrot (quartered and sliced)
- 2 skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite size chunks)
- 1 large bell pepper (julienned, or 150 grams frozen julienned bell peppers for added color)
- 1 medium onion (coarsely diced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic paste
- 3 tablespoons spicy curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups bouillon
- Place potatoes, carrot, chicken, and bell pepper in bottom of crock pot.
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, sauté onion in olive oil and margarine until translucent.
- Then stir in garlic paste, curry powder, turmeric, white pepper, ginger, cinnamon, and salt.
- Next, gradually add flour mixing thoroughly into a pasty consistency.
- Finally, slowly pour in chicken broth, thoroughly diluting the flour mixture. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Last, pour broth mixture over the ingredients in the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 – 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over hot rice accompanied by sour and/or sweet pickled condiments.
This is the curry taste that I have been searching for. I doubled the recipe for the spices/flour/stock and went crazy with just vegetables, no meat. The hardest part was making the sort of roux (spice/onion/garlic mix with flour) then adding the stock slowly to thin out with no lumps. Turned out awesome and well worth the time. When I was done pouring the sauce over the vegetables in the crock pot, I took some sliced bread and CLEANED out the pot. This curry gravy was so good I ate about a half loaf of bread with the drippings. So Good! Will make this again and live off it! I am hoping my 12-16 servings lasts me the week. ;)
Very yummy-big hit with the hubby. I was out of garlic, so substituted 1 TB garlic chili paste. This one is a keeper. Pretty spicy, at least the way I made it. It needed quite a bit of salt and black pepper.
This is TERRIFIC curry! Especially LOVE it cooks in no hurry! Used red onion as is personal taste, true! Left out oil, marg and used spray oil too! Not many recipes without coconut milk are this delish! You answered my curry craving wish! THANKS!