Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This recipe was found on the web, posted by Stephan Block. It was a requested recipe.
Make and share this Crock Pot Goetta recipe from Food.com.
- 5 cups water
- 2 1⁄2 cups pinhead oats or 2 1⁄2 cups steel cut oats
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork or 1 lb pork sausage
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal (to thicken)
- Place water, oats, salt and pepper into the crock pot and mix well.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour, stirring 2 or 3 times.
- Add meats and break up well.
- Add onion, sage, thyme and bay.
- cook for 4 hours on low, stirring now and again.
- Uncover and add cornmeal-stir well.
- Cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Turn out into 3 loaf pans, cool and chill in fridge.
- When set turn out and freeze what you want.
- Slice and fry in a little butter or oil until brown and crusty, but dont let them touch in the pan or they will run.
I think you found this recipe for me months ago. My dad grew up on this stuff and his mom taught my mom to make it and I grew up on it. Every time I visit my dad in California he asks me to make it, my excuse would be that I lost the recipe. He was looking thru some family albums and found the family recipe stuck in the pages. The original recipe is time consuming and I wasn't looking forward to making it. I armed myself with this recipe and flew down to California. Figured I'd make it; it be ok and he'd be happy that I made the attempt. I made the first batch, I did not add cornmeal as the original recipe does not call for it and I did not want to change the texture. I just cooked it longer til it thickened enough. It does need to be stirred as the oats tend to stick to the bottom of the pot. I fried it in nonstick skillet. This was WONDERFUL! Dad loved it so much that I made 3 more batches to put in his freezer. Thank you so much for hunting this down, you brought an old family dish back to us.
I grew up in Cincinnati on goetta and this is a great recipe. I have all the recipes however my favorite is the presure cooker method which I have lost. It is no longer printed on the Dorsel's pinhead oatmeal package. Can you or your subscribers help me? Mike
Loved it! I just bought a new crock pot and decided to make goetta in it! This recipe was so easy and tasted great! The only thing I omitted was the cornmeal, since some of the other reviews suggested to leave it out.. I refrigerated it overnight and cut it first thing this morning and wrapped it in wax paper and placed it in a plastic freezer bag for later breakfasts.. I took some over to my father in law's house - he said it was great! Thanks so much! Your recipe made me look genius!