Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
An easy comfort-food dessert using the crock pot. It makes a nice spicy cake topping over a flavourful sauce. Smells wonderful as it cooks.
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 7 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg white and vanilla.
- Combine molasses and water until blended.
- Combine the flour, baking soda and spices.
- Add dry mixture to creamed mixture, alternately with molasses mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in nuts.
- Pour into a greased 3 quart slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Combine hot water and melted butter and pour over the batter but do not stir.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 - 21/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the centre of cake comes out clean.
- Turn off heat and let stand for 15 minutes. Serve warm.
this turned out pretty good, but I was really missing the ginger in the gingerbread. SO I added ginger, and adjusted the spices a bit. overall worked out well! even subbing gf flour :)
We thought this was very good. Because of a time issue I ended up baking it in the oven (45 min. at 375 degrees). The cake was tasty and the sauce flavorful. I will definitely make this again.