Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I adapted this recipe from one I found in one of those booklets you buy at the check-out in the grocery store. Love the garlic hit!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil, if you wish
- 1 (4 lb) boneless pork loin roast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced into thin rings
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup white wine or 1⁄4 cup apple juice, although that gives a different flavour
- 4 cups cubed sweet potatoes (peeled, cut into about 1-inch cubes)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- If there is a lot of visible fat on the pork roast, trim it away.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on pork roast, then brown roast in hot oil on all sides, for about 10 minutes total time.
- Remove browned roast to a plate and temporarily set aside.
- In fat in skillet (add a little extra oil if needed), saute sliced onion and minced garlic, seasoned with the poultry seasoning, just until onion starts to soften; place in bottom of slow cooker.
- Turn heat to high and add white wine to skillet; scrape up all the bits sticking to skillet (in other words, deglaze the pan), then pour this mixture over the onions in the crock pot.
- Cover onions with cubed raw sweet potato.
- Place browned pork roast on top of sweet potato cubes, then pour chicken stock over roast.
- Cover and cook on Low power for for 7 to 8 hours, or until sweet potatoes are tender and pork is cooked.
Fantastic flavours!! We loved it and I will put the recipe in my hard copy. The only thing that didn't work was the timing. I kept a very close eye on it cus I didn't want the pork fall apart stringy or the yams mushy. Mine only took 4.5 hours on low!! Cooked perfectly with all holding their shape and lovely slices of pork. Had I followed the instructions as written we would have had soup for supper. I had very small baby yams so I just peeled and cut them in half instead of cubing them. I didn't have any poultry seasoning in so I replaced it with paprika and I did add a half teaspoonful of red pepper flakes. Thanks for a keeper.
This was the first recipe where I'd used sweet potatoes that didn't have marshmallows and/or pecans all over it, and I loved it! I tossed everything in the crockpot, cooked it on high for about 4 1/2 hours, and it was delicious. The only thing I didn't have that the recipe called for was poultry seasoning, and I have no clue what's in poultry seasoning, so I just tossed in some rosemary, thyme and Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning. Easy to make, and tasty to eat - definitely a keeper! Thanks for posting, Lennie.
I love sweet potatoes and figured they'd be perfect with a pork roast. We liked it, but didn't find it to be outstanding. I did like the addition of the poultry seasoning.