Prep 30 mins
Cook 18 hrs 30 mins
This simple recipe requires very little effort but results in perfect refried beans every time!
- 1⁄2 lb dried pinto bean
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄3 cup vidalia onion, minced
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh green chile, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded, stemmed, & diced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Sort & rinse beans. Place in crockpot, cover with water and soak 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain water from beans & rinse again. Remove water from the crockpot and rinse again.
- Place back in crock pot and add water & salt. Cover and cook on low 10 hours.
- Reserving liquid, drain beans & place in bowl.
- Heat oil in skillet & saute onions and garlic over medium heat until tender. Transfer to blender.
- Add chilies, cumin, and jalepenos, and blend until smooth.
- Add cooked beans (in batches---there's too much to do all at once) to blender and blend until smooth. Pour into crock pot.
- Stir well and gradually add reserved liquid until beans reach desired consistency.
- Cook on high 20-30 minutes.
My family loves these. Eating canned refried beans is difficult now. I often make a couple of pounds worth in my roaster so we'll have leftovers!