Prep 30 mins
Cook 18 hrs 30 mins
This simple recipe requires very little effort but results in perfect refried beans every time!
Make and share this Crock Pot Frijoles Refritos (Refried Beans) recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb dried pinto bean
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄3 cup vidalia onion, minced
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh green chile, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded, stemmed, & diced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Sort & rinse beans. Place in crockpot, cover with water and soak 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain water from beans & rinse again. Remove water from the crockpot and rinse again.
- Place back in crock pot and add water & salt. Cover and cook on low 10 hours.
- Reserving liquid, drain beans & place in bowl.
- Heat oil in skillet & saute onions and garlic over medium heat until tender. Transfer to blender.
- Add chilies, cumin, and jalepenos, and blend until smooth.
- Add cooked beans (in batches---there's too much to do all at once) to blender and blend until smooth. Pour into crock pot.
- Stir well and gradually add reserved liquid until beans reach desired consistency.
- Cook on high 20-30 minutes.
My family loves these. Eating canned refried beans is difficult now. I often make a couple of pounds worth in my roaster so we'll have leftovers!