Prep 2 mins
Cook 8 hrs
- 6 onions (white, Vidalia, your choice)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (1 ounce) packageof dry french onion dip mix (use 2 if you like it REALLY oniony)
- Slice or chop onions, then mix all of the above in a crock pot and set it for 8 hours.
- Or if you want to get fancy, serve it this way: add one slice of dry crusty french bread into each bowl and pour soup over the bread into the bowl. Cover with Gruyere or Jarlsberg Cheese and put under the broiler for about 2 minutes until cheese bubbles and gets a little brown.
This is the most tasteless soup I have ever made/eaten. A total waste of ingredients and time
Delicious and TOO easy! I had large, softball sized onions, and a small 2 qt crock pot, so I cut the recipe in half, and just used 1 onion. It was superb and simple! Thanks, Mimi!
Although I'm sure it enhances the flavor of this soup, the French onion dip mix is probably the culprit contributing to the excessively high sodium content of this recipe.