8 hrs 15 mins
Adapted from The Crockery Pot Cookbook. One of the very best onion soups I have ever tasted!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large vidalia onions or 4 large sweet onions, very thinly sliced
- 2 (1/4-1/2 cup) ounces unsalted butter
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup medium-dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 slices French bread, buttered
- 1/2-3/4 cup romano cheese or 1/2-3/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1Using a large frying pan, slowly sauté the onions in butter until limp and glazed.
- 2Transfer to crock-pot.
- 3Add beef stock, white wine, sherry, Worcestershire and garlic.
- 4Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- 5Place French bread on a baking sheet.
- 6Sprinkle generously with cheese.
- 7Place under preheated broiler until lightly toasted.
- 8To serve, ladle soup into bowl.
- 9Float a slice of toasted French bread on top of each bowl.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot French Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (507 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 575.1
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 72.0 mg
- Sodium 1139.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 14.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce