Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
For the Zaar World Tour courtesy of my friend Susan who is a wonderful cook. Try only if you LOVE onions! Wonderful as a side dish.
- 3 medium onions, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups toasted croutons
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- Add first four ingredients to your crockpot.
- Cover and cook on High for 4-6 hours.
- Here comes the difference between most soups like this. Place a slice of cheese on the bottom of your bowl.
- Add the soup followed by your croutons.
- As you stir your soup all that good cheese gets swirled around.
it's just not french onion soup without carmelization of the onions. this recipe is missing that special taste... tried adding pepper, herbs, and wine. still meh. in desperation added some dried toasted onions. little better. will be going back to the old school method of sweating and carmelizing the onions. feel like i just wasted a bunch of great organic onions trying this out : (
Super easy and yummy. Served it with toast and provolone on top (that's what I had on hand). My two year old lapped it up, will totes make this again!
This soup was a real winner in my household! Everyone loved it. It was simple and easy too, so extra points for that. I love letting my crock pot do the work for me. ;) I served mine in sourdough soup bowls, which I bought on impulse and needed to use. It was divine. This is definitely going on my permanent rotation... such a delicious and easy meal deserves to be made at least a couple of times per month!