Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A lovely assortment of yummy flavors started on the stove & finished in the crockpot so the flavors all mellllld together! p.s. If you eat the bacon bits, just cook up the other 1/2lb!
- In heavy skillet, on low heat, cook diced bacon slowly until very crisp. Drain & set aside. Reserve 1/2c drippings!
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2c chicken broth & 1c barley to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer about 20 minutes until soft & liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- Season chicken thighs with salt & pepper. Fry in bacon fat, on medium low heat, skin side down, until very browned. Turn & cook 5 minutes longer. Set aside.
- Saute chopped leeks, carrots & celery in drippings. Add Herbs de Provence.
- Put sauteed vegetables into crock pot. Add cooked barley. Add 1c barley & stir. Place chicken on top.
- Cook on high 1 hours until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Add reserved crispy bacon, stir, cook another 15 minutes.
This is fabulous. My DH, who can't get over barley that's not in soup, did not get this concept; I boldly told him that I can get another husband! I made as directed -- the French way -- sans crockpot -- and couldn't be happier with the results! Could be happier with the DH, but that's another story! Lol! Made for Aussie Make My Recipe tag game.
This was great, however I did not use the crockpot. I took MsSally's advice and changed things a bit. I boiled the broth and let the barley soak in it while I browned the chicken and then sauteed the vegetables. Once the vegetables were done, I put everything together in the pot, covered, and cooked at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. I was absolutely wonderful and I didn't have to dirty the crockpot.
I must say I did make a mistake first off by reducing hte amount made. There are only 2 of us so I cut the recipe in half. MY MISTAKE! This is comfort food to beat comfort food. I was a bit skeptical, I use barley in soups and stews but thought what they heck. I am so glad I did. With each bite a different flavor was highlighted from the celery, to the carrots, to the bacon pieces mixed over the chicken. An explosion so subtle on the tongue you had to savor each bite. I had a lot of bites as I ate 2 small servings. I need to save some for leftovers LOL. This is wonderful. And so easy in the CROCK! I got to smell it all day! Thank you. Made for AUS/NZ Swap 48