A lovely assortment of yummy flavors started on the stove & finished in the crockpot so the flavors all mellllld together! p.s. If you eat the bacon bits, just cook up the other 1/2lb!
- In heavy skillet, on low heat, cook diced bacon slowly until very crisp. Drain & set aside. Reserve 1/2c drippings!
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2c chicken broth & 1c barley to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer about 20 minutes until soft & liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- Season chicken thighs with salt & pepper. Fry in bacon fat, on medium low heat, skin side down, until very browned. Turn & cook 5 minutes longer. Set aside.
- Saute chopped leeks, carrots & celery in drippings. Add Herbs de Provence.
- Put sauteed vegetables into crock pot. Add cooked barley. Add 1c barley & stir. Place chicken on top.
- Cook on high 1 hours until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Add reserved crispy bacon, stir, cook another 15 minutes.