Recipe by Elmotoo
A lovely assortment of yummy flavors started on the stove & finished in the crockpot so the flavors all mellllld together! p.s. If you eat the bacon bits, just cook up the other 1/2lb!
Top Review by mersaydees
This is fabulous. My DH, who can't get over barley that's not in soup, did not get this concept; I boldly told him that I can get another husband! I made as directed -- the French way -- sans crockpot -- and couldn't be happier with the results! Could be happier with the DH, but that's another story! Lol! Made for Aussie Make My Recipe tag game.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced
- 6 chicken thighs, bone in
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup leek, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons herbes de provence
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In heavy skillet, on low heat, cook diced bacon slowly until very crisp. Drain & set aside. Reserve 1/2c drippings!
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2c chicken broth & 1c barley to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer about 20 minutes until soft & liquid is absorbed. Set aside.
- Season chicken thighs with salt & pepper. Fry in bacon fat, on medium low heat, skin side down, until very browned. Turn & cook 5 minutes longer. Set aside.
- Saute chopped leeks, carrots & celery in drippings. Add Herbs de Provence.
- Put sauteed vegetables into crock pot. Add cooked barley. Add 1c barley & stir. Place chicken on top.
- Cook on high 1 hours until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Add reserved crispy bacon, stir, cook another 15 minutes.