Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Hot and humid monsoon season in Tucson means time to cook in the crock pot! I found this in BHG's "Crockery Cooking," and I am making it tomorrow! Great low-cal recipe at only 1 weight watcher point per serving.
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed and chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon fennel head, snipped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium V8 juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- Toss everything in your crock pot.
- cook on Low for 8- 10 hours or High for 4 to 5 hours.
I am trying this, minus the V8, with a cup of navy beans and chick peas, also using about 7-8 skinless chicken thighs with visible fat removed. I have no more room in my crock, but plan to add some chicken broth and barley, tomorrow. (I only added some water to the pot, along with frozen chicken thighs, it's sitting in my fridge, for tomorrow. I also added a red potato and carrot. Used 1 larger fennel bulb, and reserved the tips for tomorrow's garnish. I've seen your recipe online at a couple of websites, I'm kinda mixing a few recipes together. . . .