It's nice to have some refried beans you can pull out of the freezer for a side with your Mexican meals without opening a can with all the extra fat. One side serving is 1/2 cup, which also makes about 4 tacos or burritos These are a great side dish, may also be used for burritos, and can be served as a main dish with plenty of shredded cheddar and salsa on top. Take the time and make these ahead. You won't be sorry!
- 1 lb dried beans, soaked overnight
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 3 minced garlic cloves, don't substitute powdered (optional)
- 1 onions, diced or 1 bunch fresh parsley or 1 bunch fresh cilantro or 1 cup celery & leaves, chopped with stems
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- Drain soaked beans and place in a crock pot along with remaining ingredients except salt. Make sure that the beans are covered with liquid by about 1".
- Stir well, cover and cook on low all day, about 8-10 hours, until tender. Keep an eye on them and make sure they don't get dry.
- Add salt.
- Use a potato masher or heat safe (canning) jar bottom to mash well and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Continue to mash and stir until desired consistency.
- To freeze, put in a freezer Ziploc and flatten into a layer to freeze, or no more than 2" deep in freezer containers.