Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This is so good and easy to prepare in the crock pot. I got this recipe from a crockpotting blog and tweaked it to suit our tastes. Now I'm addicted to falafel. It's a middle eastern dish that is usually served in a pita with a cucumber/yogurt sauce but we prefer it wrapped in a corn tortilla with lettuce, tomatoes and a tangy ranch dressing. Even the kids eat this one up.
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
- 1⁄2 onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Process the onion in a food processor until it's very finely chopped. (My family doesn't like onion chunks).
- Add the spices, egg, garlic and lemon juice. Process until mixed.
- Drain the beans and add to the food processor. Process with just a few pulses leaving some beans in chunks.
- Transfer bean mixture to a bowl and add bread crumbs. It will be wet and sticky so you can form it into balls.
- Pour the 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in the bottom of your crock pot.
- Form bean mixture into golf ball size balls and flatten slightly.
- Dip each side into the olive oil and nestle into the bottom of your crock pot. It's ok if they overlap or lay on top of each other.
- Cook on high for 3 1/2 hours or until golden brown.
- Layer into a pita or corn tortilla with fresh tomatoes, cucumbers and tangy ranch dressing.
Simple and delicious! I made the recipe exactly as written (without breadcrumbs) then left the mixture in the fridge overnight. I added the breadcrumbs and formed the balls in the morning, stuck them in the crockpot and had them for lunch the next day. They were wonderful! It was our first experience with falafel and I have to admit I was leary of using the crockpot because I wasn't sure we would get that "fried" experience. Let me just say, they were crispy and delicious! We served them with lettuce, tomato, and a cucumber yogurt mixture on a tortilla (for him) and a sandwich roll (for me). Wonderful!!
This is a great dish! My family really liked it. I would make my falafel balls a little smaller next time, but everything was great!