Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook3 hrs 30 mins
This is so good and easy to prepare in the crock pot. I got this recipe from a crockpotting blog and tweaked it to suit our tastes. Now I'm addicted to falafel. It's a middle eastern dish that is usually served in a pita with a cucumber/yogurt sauce but we prefer it wrapped in a corn tortilla with lettuce, tomatoes and a tangy ranch dressing. Even the kids eat this one up.
- Process the onion in a food processor until it's very finely chopped. (My family doesn't like onion chunks).
- Add the spices, egg, garlic and lemon juice. Process until mixed.
- Drain the beans and add to the food processor. Process with just a few pulses leaving some beans in chunks.
- Transfer bean mixture to a bowl and add bread crumbs. It will be wet and sticky so you can form it into balls.
- Pour the 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in the bottom of your crock pot.
- Form bean mixture into golf ball size balls and flatten slightly.
- Dip each side into the olive oil and nestle into the bottom of your crock pot. It's ok if they overlap or lay on top of each other.
- Cook on high for 3 1/2 hours or until golden brown.
- Layer into a pita or corn tortilla with fresh tomatoes, cucumbers and tangy ranch dressing.