Recipe by ~Bekah~
I adopted this recipe from a very sweet chef: CBW. "My mom found this in a TOH magazine and passed the recipe on to me (well, I begged her for it after she made it!(=) I love good crock pot recipes and this one is no exception. There are some other enchilada recipes on here, but this one was a little different, so, I decided to add it to the database! I hope you'll enjoy it, too!"
Top Review by jfaithm
I made a vegetarian version using Lightlife Smart Ground instead of the ground beef. This busy mom simplified the prep by not sauteing or boiling the veggies first. Just chopped up onion and pepper in small pieces and threw it all in. Cooked great in 5 1/2 hours. Crazy yummy! Leftover portions heated up well wrapped in foil in toaster oven too.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans or 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (4 oz)
- 6 flour tortillas (6 or 7-inch)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion, and green pepper until beef is browned and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Add the next 8 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine cheeses.
- In a 5 qt slow-cooker, layer about 3/4 cup beef mixture, on tortilla and about 1/3 cup cheese.
- Repeat layers until ingredients are used up.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until heated through.