I adopted this recipe from a very sweet chef: CBW. "My mom found this in a TOH magazine and passed the recipe on to me (well, I begged her for it after she made it!(=) I love good crock pot recipes and this one is no exception. There are some other enchilada recipes on here, but this one was a little different, so, I decided to add it to the database! I hope you'll enjoy it, too!"
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans or 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (4 oz)
- 6 flour tortillas (6 or 7-inch)
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion, and green pepper until beef is browned and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Add the next 8 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine cheeses.
- In a 5 qt slow-cooker, layer about 3/4 cup beef mixture, on tortilla and about 1/3 cup cheese.
- Repeat layers until ingredients are used up.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until heated through.