Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Can use ranch or chili hot beans if preferred; can add hot peppers if you like.
- 1 lb lean ground beef, browned and drained
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups kidney beans, canned,do not drain
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, do not drain
- 1⁄3 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 cups low-fat Mexican cheese, shredded
- 6 whole low-fat flour tortillas or 6 whole fat free tortillas, 6 or 7 inches each
- Cook chopped onion and green peppers in a non-stick skillet until clear.
- Add browned ground beef and next 7 ingredients.
- Cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Put 3/4 cup meat mixture in bottom of crock pot, then a tortilla, and sprinkle with 1/3 cup grated cheese Repeat this layer 5 more times, and pour any remaining meat mixture over the top layer.
- Cover and cook on low, about 250 degrees, for 6-7 hours.
This was a hit at my house. I m not sure if the tortillas are supposed to disintegrate, but they did - and in spite of that it was still delicious. One of my kids used it to stuff a fresh tortilla -- kind of like taco filling. The filling is just delicious. Next time I think I'll skip the layering and just make the filling and then fill the tortillas on the spot at dinner time. My husband asked me to make it again soon.
Super Duper Good. I dont cook with onions and didnt have any cumin but did throw in some taco seasoning.