Recipe by Kannwilson
Can use ranch or chili hot beans if preferred; can add hot peppers if you like.
Top Review by jane49423
This was a hit at my house. I m not sure if the tortillas are supposed to disintegrate, but they did - and in spite of that it was still delicious. One of my kids used it to stuff a fresh tortilla -- kind of like taco filling. The filling is just delicious. Next time I think I'll skip the layering and just make the filling and then fill the tortillas on the spot at dinner time. My husband asked me to make it again soon.
- 1 lb lean ground beef, browned and drained
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups kidney beans, canned,do not drain
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, do not drain
- 1⁄3 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 cups low-fat Mexican cheese, shredded
- 6 whole low-fat flour tortillas or 6 whole fat free tortillas, 6 or 7 inches each
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook chopped onion and green peppers in a non-stick skillet until clear.
- Add browned ground beef and next 7 ingredients.
- Cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Put 3/4 cup meat mixture in bottom of crock pot, then a tortilla, and sprinkle with 1/3 cup grated cheese Repeat this layer 5 more times, and pour any remaining meat mixture over the top layer.
- Cover and cook on low, about 250 degrees, for 6-7 hours.