Prep 40 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Enchiladas a different way!
- 680.38 g stew meat
- 59.14 ml chopped onion
- 425.24 g can pinto beans
- 425.24 g can black beans
- 283.49 g candiced tomatoes and green chilies (drained)
- 78.07 ml water
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 6 (48 inch) flour tortillas
- 709.77 ml monterey jack cheese or 709.77 ml cheddar cheese
- Cut stew meat into very small pieces and brown meat and onion in skillet.
- Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
- In crock pot, place two pieces of foil folded to create a "dish". One six inch wide strip one way and another the other direction works well for me.
- Ladle a small amount of filling onto foil, and place a tortilla on the top and sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat layers ending with last of the filling. There should be about 6 layers.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or til meat is tender.
- Pull bottom layer of foil out of cooker and place on a serving platter, spoon any remaining contents over top.
- Cut into wedges to serve. Add tomatoes, lettuce and sour cream if desired.
I loved this, and will be making it again. If the stack formation seems odd to you, it really does work out if you follow the recipe. I recommend some sour cream after you divide it up, too.
Tasty, hearty, and filling! I used pork stew meat (I cut a loin into tiny pieces). I used more onion and added some cumin. I only had enough filling for 5 layers. I didn't think it was going to stay together when removed from the crockpot, but it did very nicely! No crockpot to clean, either! I'll make this again. Thanx for posting.