Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My sister Terry has made this for years, recipe is courtesy Rival Crock Pot Cooking. Many variations abound - but we like this one.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup parsley sprig
- 2 (8 ounce) cansdrained mushrooms
- 12 -13 cups slightly dry bread cubes (and or cornbread)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram (optional)
- 3 1⁄2-4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 3 1⁄2-4 1⁄2 cups turkey broth, and diced giblets
- Melt butter in skillet and sauté onion, celery, parsley and mushrooms. Pour over bread crumbs in very large mixing bowl. Add all seasonings and toss well together. Pour enough broth to moisten, add beaten eggs, and mix together well.
- Pack lightly into crock pot. Cover and set to high for 45 minute then reduce heat to low and cook for 4 to 8 hours.
- (Check on it every so often and add more broth if necessary).