This is a traditional, very hearty and filling split pea soup with the zipped up flavor of curry powder.
- 16 ounces dried split peas, rinsed, drained and picked over
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cups boiling water
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 6 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups Canadian bacon, chopped
- Place all ingredients except 1/2 Tbls. of the curry powder in a crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 10 to 11 hours.
- Stir in the remaining 1/2 Tbls. curry powder.
- Add more seasoned salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Garnish with chopped chives and croutons.
I had some leftover ham, so I used it instead of the Canadian bacon. Wonderful!