Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Serve this with crusty rolls for a satisfying winter or fall meal, or use it as a side dish with sandwiches. I am not a big lentil OR soup fan, yet I really enjoyed this soup.
- 29.58 ml oil (preferably olive, or for authenticity -- clarified butter)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 7.39 ml good curry powder (I like using more, but it is all to taste)
- 1419.54 ml good vegetable stock (water or chicken stock can be substituted)
- 236.59 ml lentils
- 396.89 g can chopped tomatoes (with liquid)
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add curry, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- (you should be able to smell the curry flavors when it is ready) Add some of the stock to the pan to deglaze.
- Pour the contents of the pan, and the rest of the stock into a crock pot.
- Add the lentils to the pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Before serving, puree some of the lentils to give the soup some body, and add the tomato and any salt that you wish.
Loved this soup! It's not too thick or too runny. Partially pureeing the lentils gives the soup just the right texture. I used some garam masala and some hot curry powder. I topped the soup with some fresh chopped cilantro. Thanx for posting this simple, yummy soup!
Made this recipe yesterday as written. Unfortunately, after 6 hours of cooking on low and then a while on warm, the lentils were still crunchy. Very disappointing. Flavor was good, though.
This makes a thin soup and needs more curry or other flavourings to make it more tasty.