Recipe by Jennifer Michele
Serve this with crusty rolls for a satisfying winter or fall meal, or use it as a side dish with sandwiches. I am not a big lentil OR soup fan, yet I really enjoyed this soup.
Top Review by *Parsley*
Loved this soup! It's not too thick or too runny. Partially pureeing the lentils gives the soup just the right texture. I used some garam masala and some hot curry powder. I topped the soup with some fresh chopped cilantro. Thanx for posting this simple, yummy soup!
- 29.58 ml oil (preferably olive, or for authenticity -- clarified butter)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 7.39 ml good curry powder (I like using more, but it is all to taste)
- 1419.54 ml good vegetable stock (water or chicken stock can be substituted)
- 236.59 ml lentils
- 396.89 g can chopped tomatoes (with liquid)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add curry, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- (you should be able to smell the curry flavors when it is ready) Add some of the stock to the pan to deglaze.
- Pour the contents of the pan, and the rest of the stock into a crock pot.
- Add the lentils to the pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Before serving, puree some of the lentils to give the soup some body, and add the tomato and any salt that you wish.