Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 hrs
So easy to do...quick to put together and go off to work.
- 3⁄4 cup dry lentils
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 1/2 to 7 hours or until lentils are tender
- Serve. For Vegetarian use vegetable broth.
Good, easy and healthy soup. I followed the directions and added an onion as well. The lentils were cooked but still a little "al dente". I think next time I'll leave the crockpot on all day. Glad you posted this though.
A favorite of mine...also has become a favorite at my parent's home, apparently, since I prepared it there once and made extra for their freezer. I love this for it's ease of preparation...sometimes if I don't have leeks on hand, I will just toss in some sliced scallions instead and it works pretty well. I like to use French lentils, but regular ones work fine, too. Sometimes, I even cheat and use dried basil...it's always a winner!
I made up the chicken broth using vegetarian chicken stock cubes. Very nice soup and the lentils were cooked after 5 hours on "Auto" which cooks on high for an hour then switches to low.