Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
I came up with this recipe when I had a lot of jelly to use up. I have a thing for those Welche's jelly jars. I still have some in my cupboard from when my son was little.
- 10 chicken drumsticks, skinned
- 1 1⁄2 cups strawberry jam (or other flavor)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch green onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Melt butter in frying pan, and lightly brown chicken legs. Spray crockpot with cooking spray. Place brownded chicken legs on bottom of crockpot. In same pan saute the onions and red bell pepper. Add remaining ingredients and cook until jam is melted. Pour over chicken legs and cook on low for 7 hours, or high for 3 hours. Serve over steamed rice and garnish with more green onions and cilantro.
We really enjoyed this recipe. The only changes I made was to cut back on the jelly (used 1 cup of natural blueberry preserves) and cut back on the curry a smidge (1.5 T instead of 2). I also waited to add the green onions and cilantro until closer to the end...fresh herbs should not cook all day - I feel the flavor is better (and the look) if you add them closer to the end. Finally there is NO way this takes 7 hours. I had it on low for just under 5 and I thought it was a bit over cooked. I'll probably shoot for 4 hours on low next time. I served it over basmati rice with green peas on the side. Overall a solid and easy meal. Will definitely make again.