Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
My husband and Father are crazy about this dish. I originally found this on Allrecipes.com where it was submitted by Nancy. Over time we have modified things a bit to our tastes. If you like hot, please go to town with the seasonings.
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (16 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 lb ham, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 -5 dashes hot sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- creole seasoning
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄2 lb kielbasa, sliced diagonally
- In a slow cooker combine the chicken, green pepper, onions, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, ham, chilies, and seasonings.
- Cover and cook on low heat 4- 5 hours.
- Turn the slow cooker to high.
- Add the kielbasa and rice.
- Cover and cook on high for 20 minutes or until sausage and rice are hot.
Spicy and delicious! I used about 5 skinless/boneless chicken breasts instead of 8 thighs which probably made no difference. Here in the UK I can only get a jar of jalapenos (no such thing as a tin of green chilies on this side of the pond to my knowledge) and I used about 1/2 of the jar. For all the tomato products I had to substitute what is available here as well so I used two cans of chopped tomatoes and a small jar of passata. I left the lid off the crock pot and turned it up to high for about an hour at the end and it thickened up beautifully. I have Tabasco sauce and Tony Chachere's seasoning from back home (I am originally a Louisiana girl) and these spiced it up to perfection. Thanks, Michelle!
my husband loved it, lots of meat,with rice.
Yum! Very easy--I just put the ingredients in in order, and let it sit until it was time to add the sausage and rice. Stirred it up then and mmmm, tasty. I omitted the cubed ham and didn't miss it at all. I used leftover (plain) Chinese food rice, somewhat dried out, and it soaked up all the flavor beautifully.