Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
You can adjust the spice mix to be as spicy or mild as you like. I like to serve this over linguine. Mmmmmm.
- 4 -6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3⁄8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Put the chicken breasts in the crock pot.
- Blend the spice mix with 2 tablespoons of warm water reserving about a teaspoon of the dry spice mix for the sauce.
- Cover and cook for 3 hours on low.
- Combine the cream cheese and soup until smooth.
- Stir in the remaining spice mix and sliced mushrooms.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the chicken breasts.
- Cook 1 additional hour until the chicken is cooked through.
I tripled the amount of spices for this dish. My husband and I like it spicy - but even if we didn't, the dish would have been too bland. I also added chopped jalapenos and several dashes of hot pepper sauce to add to the flavor. Next time, my husband wants rice to sop up the yummy sauce!
This was really delicious. My family loved the flavor of the sauce. I did add cajun spice to my plate and dh's, but my 5 and 3 year olds cleaned their plates as is. I used fat free soup and neufchatel cheese(lowfat cream cheese) and then served over whole grain pasta. We really enjoyed this so thanks for posting Hunkle!
Good, but I feel mine didn't have enough kick. I may have to adjust if made again.