Creamy chicken dish that you can spice up to suit your taste. Basically, it's slow cooker chicken with cream cheese & any other ingredients you like. This recipe is our favorite combination and has a mexican flair. Plus, using the crock pot makes this dish simple & fills the whole house with a nice aroma. We like it best served over cooked egg noodles or rice. I gave this recipe to my cousin & she serves it by adding spoonfuls of it to pre-made taco shells. (Note: sometimes instead of onion & red bell pepper I just add 1-1 1/2 cups of frozen bell pepper/onion from the bag in the freezer secion)
- 5 chicken breasts (I use the family size package of 5 that I store in the freezer)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 6 ounces black olives, drained (sliced black olives)
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) jar salsa, medium
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 -2 tablespoon taco seasoning (I use Taco Bell or Lawry's Taco Seasoning)
- Add all ingredients to crock pot EXCEPT cream cheese & yes, you can add the chicken breasts frozen.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Add the package of cream cheese (whole) to top of cooking chicken mixture for last 30 minute of cooking.
- Serve over cooked rice or egg noodles with a dollup of sour cream & sprinkles of shredded cheddar if desired.
I made this exactly as written. Before I could add the cream cheese at the end my husbands stole a dish. I tasted his and it was so delicious. I love cream cheese so I thought to myself how much more amazing it would taste once I added that. I was very disappointed with the added cream cheese. Which I was surprised by. Maybe its just a matter of preference. That being said I still thought this dish was very delicous and I will make it time and time again it is so easy and yumm. Just minus the cream cheese.
This is a total winner. Our houseguest watched me assemble thhis, set it on low, then we took off for the day and came home to a fabulous dinner. I do make a few changes to lighten it up a bit: a whole onion, whole pepper, half to a third of the recommended cream cheese. Serve this with soft tortillas, a green salad and you're done. I also use Trader Joe's frozen chicken tenders and cut up them up into bite-sized pieces and serve it in a wide soup bowl.
Wow! This was really good! Very impressed. Would make it again. The only change I might make is adding the beans in a little later in the cooking process.