Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
My mother used to make this every year when it got cold. Seeing as we live in Houston, sometimes she'd just have to break down and make it in November even though it was still hot and sticky outside! :) Anyway, this is from memory and you should just "fiddle" around with the ingredients to your liking
- 4 (8 ounce) bags frozen spinach
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 2 cups milk or 2 cups cream
- 2 (20 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 large onion, diced
- cayenne pepper
- 1 dash paprika, to your taste
- Drain the spinach and add to crock pot.
- Dump all the other ingredients into the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
My family LOVED this soup, and it was so easy to make. I only made a few small edits. I used about 1.5 pounds of fresh spinach instead of frozen spinach, I used dried onion flakes instead of fresh onion, and I added 4 chicken bouillon cubes. This recipe is fantastic!
I really enjoyed this soup and so did everyone to whom I served it. I used a sweet onion and a teaspoon of cayenne which gave if a nice subtle kick.
This soup was very easy and quick to put together. I did vitamise it when cooked, though, because I like a smoother soup. Lots of spinach flavour - this one's a keeper.