This is a great recipe that I have been making for years. It is very rich though, so don't make this recipe if you are looking for something light! I like to serve this with steamed rice (to kind of counterbalance the fat content of the chicken). Also, the cooking time listed here is for an older model Crock Pot. If you have a newer one you will want to cut back the cooking time.
- 1 frying chicken, cut up
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons dry Italian salad dressing
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1⁄2 cup sauterne white wine or 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- Brush chicken with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place in a crock pot and sprinkle dry mix over all.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.
- About 45 minutes before done, mix soup, cream cheese, wine, and onion in a small saucepan.
- Cook until smooth.
- Pour over the chicken and cover and cook another 45 minutes.
- Spoon sauce over pieces when serving.
Great sauce...and easy. I added sauteed mushrooms. Will make again.
Ok. I have to be honest. This is like a 5 gazillion star recipe! Thanks Sahara so much for sharing this. I was cooking for a lot of people and so I tripled the recipe, used boneless skinless chicken breasts from Costco and added fresh mushrooms at the end. Very easy and so elegant! I have never cooked with wine before and I thought it might be really stong, but WOW! I actually have left over sauce, and am making a trip to the store for more chicken. IF YOU ARE READING THIS, YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS RECIPE!
Yum yum to the tum tum! Rich and delicious. I served it with buttered noodles and it was one heck of a good meal!