Recipe by DrGaellon
My own recipe, inspired by a recipe on here for cranberry brisket. You can use canned whole-berry cranberry sauce, but the fresh is much nicer. If using orange juice and orange zest, leave out the apples.
Top Review by tk80
Very, very nice! Has the festive taste of a holiday meal...without all of the work :) I prepared the dish as listed, except I removed the skin from the bone-in chicken thighs; the meat was still very tender.
- 12 ounces cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider or 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1 strip orange zest, 1-inch by 3-inch (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs baby yukon gold potatoes
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on
- 1 (6 ounce) package dried cranberries (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons prepared coarse-ground mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine cranberries, sugar, cider, cinnamon, apples, ginger, mustard, a pinch of salt, and a few twists of black pepper. Cook on medium-high heat until most of the berries pop and the sauce looks thick and jam-like.
- Place potatoes in bottom of slow-cooker. Place chicken on top. Cover with dried cranberries. Add prepared mustard. Pour cranberry sauce over the top. Cook on low 6-8 hours.