Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My own recipe, inspired by a recipe on here for cranberry brisket. You can use canned whole-berry cranberry sauce, but the fresh is much nicer. If using orange juice and orange zest, leave out the apples.
- 12 ounces cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider or 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1 strip orange zest, 1-inch by 3-inch (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs baby yukon gold potatoes
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on
- 1 (6 ounce) package dried cranberries (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons prepared coarse-ground mustard
- In a large saucepan, combine cranberries, sugar, cider, cinnamon, apples, ginger, mustard, a pinch of salt, and a few twists of black pepper. Cook on medium-high heat until most of the berries pop and the sauce looks thick and jam-like.
- Place potatoes in bottom of slow-cooker. Place chicken on top. Cover with dried cranberries. Add prepared mustard. Pour cranberry sauce over the top. Cook on low 6-8 hours.