Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Easy crock pot brisket recipe.
- 3 lbs beef brisket, trimmed of excess fat (NOT corned beef brisket)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared Dijon mustard
- Rub brisket with salt, pepper and thyme; place in a 5-qt slow cooker.
- In a bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour over brisket in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or until tender and done.
I messed this up. I did it, though, it is not the fault of the recipe, so I am attempting to imagine what this would have been like if I had actually cooked this on low for 9 hours (as I had originally planned) and not on high for 5 hours (as ended up happening). Luckily, I have made some of your other delicious brisket recipes, so I have a good idea of what a good crockpot brisket tastes like. The sauce was really nice and sweet, so I imagine the next time I make this, the meat will be falling apart tender, sweet, with a sauce begging for thickening and mashed potatoes! :) Thank you for posting, made for ZWT4.
I had to make this diabetic friendly so it probably wasn't "all it could be"- it was super easy. Kind of a sweet and sour type of flavor. I used a cranberry sauce that I made DH for Thanksgiving that I had leftover but still was good. I also seasoned the meat with a packet of Lipton onion soup and extra garlic powder. I added a splash of red wine (not sure that did anything) and I skipped the brown sugar. I felt the cranberry sauce I used was very sweet tasting. I strained the sauce and used to fat skimmer to make the gravy. I made this for Channukah last night and served it with latkes and applesauce. I liked this for a change and it was perfect for a busy weekday holiday night!