Recipe by Antifreesz
This is from the "Cranberry Festival Recipes" booklet I picked up at the cranberry festival in Bordentown NJ (where one of the Ocean Spray facilities is located) many years ago. It was submitted by a woman from Vincetown NJ and is one of my favorite apple butters. I usually use the cranapple juice.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I seem to be on a kick what with making recipes that include cranberries, but I absolutely love those little red buggers, & since I've got bags & bags of frozen berries, this butter recipe gives me another great way of using them! Thank you for a great-tasting 'butter' & a new addition to my Holiday Gift Ideas cookbook! [Made & reviewed in Tag It RED!]
- 6 -7 cooking apples
- 1⁄2 lb fresh cranberries
- 1 cup cranapple cranberry juice or 1 cup cider or 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Core and chop apple; do not peel.
- Combine apples, cranberries and cranapple juice in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for five hours.
- Puree in sieve, food mill or processor.
- Return pureed mixture to crock pot and add sugar, cinnamon and cloves.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 to 2 hours.