Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Major comfort food in our house!
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 2 tablespoons dry parsley flakes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 3 lbs broiler-fryer chickens
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup raw converted rice
- Place all ingredients in crock pot except rice in order listed.
- Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours (high 4-6 hours).
- One hour before serving, remove chicken and cool slightly.
- Remove meat from bones and return to crock pot.
- Add rice.
- Cover and cook the additional hour on high.
This was very good! I tried to use the 4 to 6 hour fast method and finally had to put it on the stove to finish. I would use the slower method next time.
Lost my old favorite recipe and this one proved to be very close to it. My family enjoys this with a piping hot loaf of french bread.
This soup really had a good flavor. I subbed noodles for the rice and we liked the change. Thanks for sharing!