Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs 30 mins
Hearty stick to your ribs cooking. Great for St. Pat's Day or New Years. Has a nice sauce or serve with lots of grated horseradish.
- 4 red potatoes, chopped into chunks
- 4 carrots, chopped into chunks
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 2 -2 1⁄2 lbs corned beef brisket (with seasoning packet)
- 12 ounces beer (non-alcoholic beer such as O'Doul's is ok)
- 1 small cabbage, cut into wedges
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Place the potatoes, carrots, and onions in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Top with the brisket and sprinkle meat with the seasoning packet.
- Pour beer over meat, and if necessary, add water until meat is just barely covered.
- Cook on low 10-12 hours.
- Remove meat from crock pot; set aside and keep warm.
- Place cabbage in crock pot; cook on high for 30-35 minutes or until cabbage is cooked to your liking.
- Mix together applesauce and mustard, and use as a sauce for the meat, if desired (prepared horseradish goes well also).
- Slice meat thinly across the grain and serve hot with cooked vegetables.
Yes, sir!!! It's a great! recipe, Sue. Use the veggies as you said, except the potates. Instead of the applesauce-mustard, I used Recipe#13326 for the beef. YUM! Will use this recipe again.
This is the recipe I have used for years and my family loves its but I use a different horseradish sauce
This is a great way to do corned beef. I just started it in the crockpot in the morning and had my DH do the cabbage part when he got home. It all came out tender and delicious, and the broth is a treat in itself. The sauce -- you sorta go "huh?" when you see the recipe and again when you mix the sauce, but it's quite good with the meat! Made for Please Review My Recipe March 2008.